Thursday, January 6, 2011

Five-plus things that Dad and I have in common.

  1. Physical conditions: Golden brown hair and small dark brown eyes; certain facial expressions.
  2. Emotional conditions: Anxiety (mine is self-diagnosed and untreated, which makes life more interesting); a deep bent toward nostalgia.
  3. Intellectual conditions: Arrogance; inability to stop talking. (Ever.)
  4. A love of outdoor activity, specifically walking/running/hiking. Bonus points for wearing plaid shirts on hikes.
  5. The ability to pretend that someone who has mildly pissed us off has really pissed us off. We typically accomplish this by offering a gritting smile and/or a cutting remark. Then we laugh to make the other person feel that he has not really pissed us off after all. But the truth is, he has, and our wounded pride will hold a grudge. So, I suppose we are only pretending that we are pretending.
One time, Dad actually did #5 to me at the breakfast table while I was visiting him in Philly. It was maybe five years ago, quite possibly even more than that, and I don't remember at all what I said, but the rest of the table erupted with laughter at his expense. Dad turned to me, smiled, and said through his teeth, "You're on my shit list."

No comments:

Post a Comment